Charles Eames Storage Unit
Storage Unit “Esu”, 1949/50, by Charles Eames (1907-1978) for Herman Miller Furniture Company, Zeeland/Michigan, USA.
The Eames Storage Units (ESU).
In 1949, Charles and Ray Eames developed a new system of free-standing multifunctional shelves which were constructed strictly in accordance with the principles of industrial mass production. As a variable kit it offered almost unlimited opportunities to combine the prefabricated items to practical and decorative aspects. Separately, four desktop versions were offered to match the shelves. Nevertheless, the “storage units” were not accepted by the customer and their production is set in 1955.